27 December 2012

I'm baaaack....sort of

Hi, blogosphere, I'm back. Not sure if anyone noticed that I was gone but basically, I wasn't able to blog much in the last few months because the first semester of college was a little more challenging than I expected and whenever I did have time to blog, I blogged over at the YA Misfits blog. (Speaking of which, it's my turn today and I just posted the playlist for my WIP. Come say hi!)

But I also wouldn't be lying if I said that I was sort of intentionally avoiding the blogosphere/Twitter/etc recently. Why? I was sort of burned out. Not because I was over-working myself (although this does happen a lot more frequently than I'd like), but because after some time, it felt like I was falling into the same routine over and over again. Writing a novel, revising and rewriting it, querying it only to find out that my genre is too over-saturated or something like that, waiting on partials/fulls only to get nothing but rejections, starting over with a new novel, etc.

After five years of being in the query trenches, everything just starts looking like the same thing...

Now, I'm not saying that I'm an exception to the norm. I know many other writers who are (or have been) in the same situation as I am and I know this is normal and even the disillusionment/depression is normal and are all just part of the process. But still, there comes a certain point when...I guess what I'm trying to say is that I needed a break. A couple months of not worrying about submissions and revisions and just focusing on schoolwork. I'm still technically on that "break," since I haven't touched my manuscripts since the school year started.

Will I ever go back to writing? Well, yes. It's not that I don't enjoy writing. I've wanted to be a writer ever since I was in fourth grade and it's a dream that I've kept going all throughout my life. But I just needed a break from all the stressors that come with it and just focus on being nothing but a normal college student.

So I guess the most appropriate question is, when I will go back. And the honest answer to that question is: I don't know. A part of me knows that I should just quit complaining and go back to working on my novels, already, but I think I still need a little bit more time before I go through another round of revisions with my previous WIP (Point Blank) and start writing my new one (Hemlock).

A little bit more time of doing nothing but worrying about grades (which come out tomorrow--eek!), watching the movies I've always wanted to watch, and reading the books I've always wanted to read.

And technically, I'm currently forming the plans for my new WIP (which always takes a couple months before I actually start writing), so I guess I am still working on a novel. I'm just taking a really long time to do it.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely know what you mean about getting burnt out on writing-related stuff, but I don't think it's a problem to take a few months off. Actually, sometimes that's the perfect solution.

    Also, I am excited to finally get to read Point Blank. (Whenever that ends up being.) And Hemlock sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, if you're in school, I can understand that you would feel overloaded. I'm planning a foray back to school in the fall and I'm feeling overloaded just trying to apply. I bet you'll know when it's time to go back to writing, when you get that word itch. You could try writing something else, have you thought of short stories? It might be a good compromise later on if you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...